Abatements are reductions in one’s taxable valuation. They are granted when the Assessor discovers an error in assessment or if the owner points such an error out. If the owner believes that the current value placed on their property is inaccurate, unfair, or overvalued relative to market value, they may take the following steps:

1. Review the property record card (available in the Assessor’s office) to assure the accuracy of its data
2. Check sale prices of similar properties
3. Provide evidence to the Assessor that the property is overvalued
4. Request a valuation review by the Assessor
5. Make a formal abatement request if not satisfied by the Assessor
6. Make a formal appeal to the local Board of Assessment Review

The property owner has 185 days from the commitment date (which is usually at or around September 15) to file a formal abatement request.

The Assessor may go back one year in granting an abatement. The Select board  may go back three years, but only to correct an illegality, error, irregularity in assessment. They may not grant an abatement to correct an error in valuation of property. In making a formal abatement appeal the assessment is presumed valid and the burden is on the taxpayer to show that it is manifestly wrong in relation to just value.

Comments are closed.